States & territories
- New South Wales(5)
- Western Australia(4)
- Northern Territory(2)
- Ashmore and Cartier Islands(2)
- Norfolk Island(1)
- Christmas Island(1)
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands(1)
Habitat & ecology
- Ramsay's Flounder Aseraggodes ramsaii (Ogilby 1889) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Aseraggodes
- Flowery Flounder Bothus mancus (Broussonet 1782) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Bothidae > Bothus A left-side flounder with dark-margined pale spots and numerous scattered small dark spots, usually three dark spots or blotches on lateral line, a row of widely-spaced dark spots on dorsal and anal fins, and eyed side pectoral fins with dark crossbars. Video of a well-camouflaged Flowery Flounder on Agincourt reef, Great Barrier Reef, Queensland. Video of a Flowery Flounders - the Kings of Camouflage .
- Pelican Flounder Chascanopsetta lugubris Alcock 1894 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Bothidae > Chascanopsetta A greatly compressed left-eye flounder with an enormous mouth, the upper jaw shorter than the head length, the lower jaw protruding slightly beyond the upper jaw, and lateral lines developed on both sides of the body. Image of a larval Pelecan Flounder .
- Leopard Flounder Bothus pantherinus (Rüppell 1830) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Bothidae > Bothus A brownish to greyish left-eyed flounder with dark spots and dark-edged pale spots and florets on the eyed-side, and a large dark blotch on the straight section of the lateral line towards the rear of the body. Males have elongate pectoral fins used in territorial and courtship displays. Video of a Leopard Flounder in the Red Sea.
- Striate Anglerfish Antennarius striatus (Shaw 1794) Actinopterygii > Lophiiformes > Antennariidae > Antennarius An ambush predator with a very long lure that resembles a marine worm. Although individuals vary greatly in colour and form, most have zebra-like markings and skin covered in long filamentous appendages. Fantastic footage of Striate Anglerfish spawning A Striate Anglerfish (aka Hairy Frogfish) eating a flounder, Engyprosopon grandisquama . A pair of Striate Anglerfish 'walking' over the seafloor in Indonesia. Slow motion footage of a Striate Anglerfish feeding.
Page 1 of 1