States & territories
- New South Wales(6)
- Northern Territory(4)
- Western Australia(4)
- South Australia(3)
- Ashmore and Cartier Islands(1)
- Coral Sea Islands(1)
- Slender Flounder Pseudorhombus tenuirastrum (Waite 1899) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Paralichthyidae > Pseudorhombus A greyish-brown flounder with three ocelli above and below the lateral line, and smaller dark rings and blotches scattered on body and median fins.
- Arnoglossus dalgleishi (von Bonde 1922) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Bothidae > Arnoglossus Identifying features: Dorsal and anal fins with a regular series of dark blotches; first 3 rays of pelvic fin on eyed side dark; first 3 dorsal-fin rays dark; mouth large, upper jaw extending beyond middle of eye. .
- Smalltooth Flounder Pseudorhombus jenynsii (Bleeker 1855) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Paralichthyidae > Pseudorhombus A brownish flatfish with two conspicuous ocelli above and below the lateral line and one or two ocelli on rear part of the lateral line before the tail, and a dark blotch at junction of straight and curved portions of lateral line.
- Fison's Flounder Arnoglossus fisoni Ogilby 1898 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Bothidae > Arnoglossus A sandy-grey flounder with numerous small, darker ocelli on the eyed-side, a narrow yellowish band along the base of the interspinous rays of the dorsal and anal fins running parallel with the upper and lower profiles of the body, and small darker and lighter spots on the fins.
- Largetooth Flounder Pseudorhombus arsius (Hamilton 1822) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Paralichthyidae > Pseudorhombus A greenish or brownish left-eyed flounder with a large dark blotch at front of the straight part of the lateral line and a second midway to the tail, often with large dark spots or rings that are sometimes encircled with small whitish spots, and small dark brown spots on the fins.
- Deep Flounder Pseudorhombus elevatus Ogilby 1912 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Paralichthyidae > Pseudorhombus A relatively deep-bodied brownish flounder with a dark blotch at the junction of the straight and curved parts of the lateral line, a smaller blotch on the lateral line on the rear of the body and another on the anterior end of the caudal peduncle, dark rings following the dorsal and ventral profiles, and small dark spots and elongate markings on the median fins.
- Striate Anglerfish Antennarius striatus (Shaw 1794) Actinopterygii > Lophiiformes > Antennariidae > Antennarius An ambush predator with a very long lure that resembles a marine worm. Although individuals vary greatly in colour and form, most have zebra-like markings and skin covered in long filamentous appendages. Fantastic footage of Striate Anglerfish spawning A Striate Anglerfish (aka Hairy Frogfish) eating a flounder, Engyprosopon grandisquama . A pair of Striate Anglerfish 'walking' over the seafloor in Indonesia. Slow motion footage of a Striate Anglerfish feeding.
Page 1 of 1