States & territories
- New South Wales(16)
- Western Australia(7)
- Northern Territory(5)
- South Australia(3)
- Ashmore and Cartier Islands(1)
Habitat & ecology
- Tiger Sole Soleichthys heterorhinos (Bleeker 1856) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Soleichthys A white to reddish-brown sole with numerous narrow dark brown bars or lines across the eyed side, a white margin and a bluish-black submarginal band on the dorsal and anal fins, and a pale caudal fin with a broad black margin. The species has a tubular anterior nostril the is longer than the eye diamter.
- Smallhead Sole Soleichthys microcephalus (Günther 1862) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Soleichthys A colourful banded sole with 11-13 dark-brown to blackish crossbands on the head and body that are wider than the alternating paler bands, 2 conspicuous white spots on the midline, and a blue and black margin to the dorsal, anal and caudal fins. The brightly-coloured juveniles are whitish with black and orange fin margins. They mimic a species of flatworm in both colour and in their undulating movement.
- Deepwater Tongue Sole Symphurus australis McCulloch 1907 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Symphurus
- Narrowbanded Sole Synclidopus macleayanus (Ramsay 1881) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Synclidopus A lavender-grey to brownish sole with many well-defined narrow dark charcoal to greyish-brown bands usually slightly wider than the pale spaces between.
- Zebra Sole Zebrias quagga (Kaup 1858) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias
- Manyband Sole Zebrias scalaris Gomon 1987 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A pale brown sole with 16-24 darker almost parallel bands across the body and caudal-fin base, bands of equal width or slightly narrower than pale interspaces and usually distinct, though not sharply demarcated from interspaces.