States & territories
- New South Wales(12)
- Northern Territory(5)
- Western Australia(5)
- South Australia(1)
- Ashmore and Cartier Islands(1)
Habitat & ecology
- Zebra Sole Zebrias quagga (Kaup 1858) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias
- Southern Peacock Sole Pardachirus hedleyi Ogilby 1916 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Pardachirus A brownish sole with dark-edged white blotches and scattered darker blotches on the upper side.
- Deepwater Tongue Sole Symphurus australis McCulloch 1907 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Symphurus
- Lemon Tongue Sole Paraplagusia bilineata (Bloch 1787) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia A tan-coloured tongue sole with a marbled pattern of dark wavy lines enclosing pale patches, two lateral lines on the eyed side, none on blind side. In Australia, the Lemon Tongue Sole has also been called Paraplagusia blochii which is a junior synonym.
- Narrowbanded Sole Synclidopus macleayanus (Ramsay 1881) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Synclidopus A lavender-grey to brownish sole with many well-defined narrow dark charcoal to greyish-brown bands usually slightly wider than the pale spaces between.
- Spotfin Tongue Sole Cynoglossus maculipinnis Rendahl 1921 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Cynoglossus A brown tongue sole with a pair of prominent round black spots on the rear third of the body.
- Manyband Sole Zebrias scalaris Gomon 1987 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A pale brown sole with 16-24 darker almost parallel bands across the body and caudal-fin base, bands of equal width or slightly narrower than pale interspaces and usually distinct, though not sharply demarcated from interspaces.
- Dappled Sole Aseraggodes melanostictus (Peters 1877) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Aseraggodes A pale brown sole with darker scale edges, faint irregular dark–edged pale markings over head and body, and very irregular dark brown blotches, most much larger than eye, the two largest on lateral line to either side of middle of body; fins with dark dots (Randall 2005).
- Smallhead Sole Soleichthys microcephalus (Günther 1862) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Soleichthys A colourful banded sole with 11-13 dark-brown to blackish crossbands on the head and body that are wider than the alternating paler bands, 2 conspicuous white spots on the midline, and a blue and black margin to the dorsal, anal and caudal fins. The brightly-coloured juveniles are whitish with black and orange fin margins. They mimic a species of flatworm in both colour and in their undulating movement.
- Tiger Sole Soleichthys heterorhinos (Bleeker 1856) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Soleichthys A white to reddish-brown sole with numerous narrow dark brown bars or lines across the eyed side, a white margin and a bluish-black submarginal band on the dorsal and anal fins, and a pale caudal fin with a broad black margin. The species has a tubular anterior nostril the is longer than the eye diamter.