States & territories
- New South Wales(12)
- Western Australia(6)
- Northern Territory(5)
- South Australia(2)
- Ashmore and Cartier Islands(1)
- Zebra Sole Zebrias quagga (Kaup 1858) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias
- Southern Peacock Sole Pardachirus hedleyi Ogilby 1916 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Pardachirus A brownish sole with dark-edged white blotches and scattered darker blotches on the upper side.
- Lemon Tongue Sole Paraplagusia bilineata (Bloch 1787) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia A tan-coloured tongue sole with a marbled pattern of dark wavy lines enclosing pale patches, two lateral lines on the eyed side, none on blind side. In Australia, the Lemon Tongue Sole has also been called Paraplagusia blochii which is a junior synonym.
- Narrowbanded Sole Synclidopus macleayanus (Ramsay 1881) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Synclidopus A lavender-grey to brownish sole with many well-defined narrow dark charcoal to greyish-brown bands usually slightly wider than the pale spaces between.
- Spotfin Tongue Sole Cynoglossus maculipinnis Rendahl 1921 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Cynoglossus A brown tongue sole with a pair of prominent round black spots on the rear third of the body.
- Manyband Sole Zebrias scalaris Gomon 1987 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A pale brown sole with 16-24 darker almost parallel bands across the body and caudal-fin base, bands of equal width or slightly narrower than pale interspaces and usually distinct, though not sharply demarcated from interspaces.
- Smallhead Sole Soleichthys microcephalus (Günther 1862) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Soleichthys A colourful banded sole with 11-13 dark-brown to blackish crossbands on the head and body that are wider than the alternating paler bands, 2 conspicuous white spots on the midline, and a blue and black margin to the dorsal, anal and caudal fins. The brightly-coloured juveniles are whitish with black and orange fin margins. They mimic a species of flatworm in both colour and in their undulating movement.
- Dappled Sole Aseraggodes melanostictus (Peters 1877) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Aseraggodes A pale brown sole with darker scale edges, faint irregular dark–edged pale markings over head and body, and very irregular dark brown blotches, most much larger than eye, the two largest on lateral line to either side of middle of body; fins with dark dots (Randall 2005).
- Spotted Flounder Ammotretis lituratus (Richardson 1844) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Rhombosoleidae > Ammotretis A well-camouflaged beige, sandy or greyish flounder, sometimes with a number of darker spots scattered on the head, body and/or fins.
- Black Sole Brachirus niger (Macleay 1880) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Brachirus A uniformly blackish or pale brownish sole with large patches of dark brown cirri, blackish pectoral fins, and a narrow whitish margin on the dorsal, anal and caudal fins. The blind side cream to whitish. This species has frequently been referred to as Brachirus nigra .