States & territories
- Western Australia(17)
- New South Wales(12)
- Northern Territory(11)
- South Australia(2)
- Norfolk Island(1)
- Christmas Island(1)
- Ashmore and Cartier Islands(1)
- Great Barrier Reef(8)
- Moreton Bay Region(6)
- Gulf of Carpentaria(5)
- Sydney Harbour(4)
- Darwin Harbour(3)
- Port Phillip(2)
- Derwent Estuary(1)
- SA Gulfs(1)
- Bass Strait(1)
- Lord Howe Province(1)
- Cryptic Sole Aseraggodes crypticus Randall & Allen 2007 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Aseraggodes A rare mottled sole with a white, brown and black variegated pattern. This small sole is found only at the Australian Territory of Christmas Island in the eastern Indian Ocean.
- Lemon Tongue Sole Paraplagusia bilineata (Bloch 1787) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia A tan-coloured tongue sole with a marbled pattern of dark wavy lines enclosing pale patches, two lateral lines on the eyed side, none on blind side. In Australia, the Lemon Tongue Sole has also been called Paraplagusia blochii which is a junior synonym.
- Pinocchio Tongue Sole Paraplagusia longirostris Chapleau, Renaud & Kailola 1991 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia
- Spotfin Tongue Sole Cynoglossus maculipinnis Rendahl 1921 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Cynoglossus A brown tongue sole with a pair of prominent round black spots on the rear third of the body.
- Dusky Tongue Sole Paraplagusia sinerama Chaplau & Renaud 1993 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia
- Narrowbanded Sole Synclidopus macleayanus (Ramsay 1881) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Synclidopus A lavender-grey to brownish sole with many well-defined narrow dark charcoal to greyish-brown bands usually slightly wider than the pale spaces between.
- Manyband Sole Zebrias scalaris Gomon 1987 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A pale brown sole with 16-24 darker almost parallel bands across the body and caudal-fin base, bands of equal width or slightly narrower than pale interspaces and usually distinct, though not sharply demarcated from interspaces.
- Spotted Tongue Sole Cynoglossus puncticeps (Richardson 1846) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Cynoglossus A yellowish-brown tongue sole with mottled dark brown blotches, often forming irregular cross bands, dark brown dashes along the dorsal and anal fins, and no pelvic fin on the blind side.
- Wicker-work Sole Zebrias craticula (McCulloch 1916) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias Head and body with more than 20 numerous narrow dark brown bands with black margins, and often an indistinct band running through the pale interspaces.
- Smallhead Sole Soleichthys microcephalus (Günther 1862) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Soleichthys A colourful banded sole with 11-13 dark-brown to blackish crossbands on the head and body that are wider than the alternating paler bands, 2 conspicuous white spots on the midline, and a blue and black margin to the dorsal, anal and caudal fins. The brightly-coloured juveniles are whitish with black and orange fin margins. They mimic a species of flatworm in both colour and in their undulating movement.