States & territories
- Western Australia(17)
- New South Wales(12)
- Northern Territory(11)
- South Australia(2)
- Norfolk Island(1)
- Christmas Island(1)
- Ashmore and Cartier Islands(1)
- Great Barrier Reef(8)
- Moreton Bay Region(6)
- Gulf of Carpentaria(5)
- Sydney Harbour(4)
- Darwin Harbour(3)
- Port Phillip(2)
- Lord Howe Province(1)
- Derwent Estuary(1)
- SA Gulfs(1)
- Bass Strait(1)
- Black Sole Brachirus niger (Macleay 1880) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Brachirus A uniformly blackish or pale brownish sole with large patches of dark brown cirri, blackish pectoral fins, and a narrow whitish margin on the dorsal, anal and caudal fins. The blind side cream to whitish. This species has frequently been referred to as Brachirus nigra .
- Cryptic Sole Aseraggodes crypticus Randall & Allen 2007 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Aseraggodes A rare mottled sole with a white, brown and black variegated pattern. This small sole is found only at the Australian Territory of Christmas Island in the eastern Indian Ocean.
- Dappled Sole Aseraggodes melanostictus (Peters 1877) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Aseraggodes A pale brown sole with darker scale edges, faint irregular dark–edged pale markings over head and body, and very irregular dark brown blotches, most much larger than eye, the two largest on lateral line to either side of middle of body; fins with dark dots (Randall 2005).
- Darkspotted Sole Liachirus melanospilos (Bleeker 1854) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Liachirus
- Dusky Tongue Sole Paraplagusia sinerama Chaplau & Renaud 1993 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia
- Hardscale Sole Phyllichthys sclerolepis (Macleay 1878) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Phyllichthys
- Harrowed Sole Zebrias cancellatus (McCulloch 1916) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A sandy-colored sole with 11-19 evenly spaced dark brown bands (sometimes divided) across the body extending onto the dorsal and anal fins, several large darker spots irregularly placed on the bands, and a mostly dark caudal fin. The blind side is whitish with dark dorsal, anal and caudal fin rays.
- Hooknose Sole Heteromycteris hartzfeldii (Bleeker 1853) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Heteromycteris A brown sole with irregular whitish lines and spots, and three rows of large black blotches or ocelli along the midline, and along the dorsal and ventral sides of the body.
- Island Sole Aseraggodes bahamondei Randall & Meléndez 1987 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Aseraggodes
- Lemon Tongue Sole Paraplagusia bilineata (Bloch 1787) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia A tan-coloured tongue sole with a marbled pattern of dark wavy lines enclosing pale patches, two lateral lines on the eyed side, none on blind side. In Australia, the Lemon Tongue Sole has also been called Paraplagusia blochii which is a junior synonym.