States & territories
- Western Australia(9)
- Northern Territory(8)
- New South Wales(6)
- Black Sole Brachirus niger (Macleay 1880) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Brachirus A uniformly blackish or pale brownish sole with large patches of dark brown cirri, blackish pectoral fins, and a narrow whitish margin on the dorsal, anal and caudal fins. The blind side cream to whitish. This species has frequently been referred to as Brachirus nigra .
- Dappled Sole Aseraggodes melanostictus (Peters 1877) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Aseraggodes A pale brown sole with darker scale edges, faint irregular dark–edged pale markings over head and body, and very irregular dark brown blotches, most much larger than eye, the two largest on lateral line to either side of middle of body; fins with dark dots (Randall 2005).
- Dusky Tongue Sole Paraplagusia sinerama Chaplau & Renaud 1993 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia
- Hardscale Sole Phyllichthys sclerolepis (Macleay 1878) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Phyllichthys
- Lemon Tongue Sole Paraplagusia bilineata (Bloch 1787) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia A tan-coloured tongue sole with a marbled pattern of dark wavy lines enclosing pale patches, two lateral lines on the eyed side, none on blind side. In Australia, the Lemon Tongue Sole has also been called Paraplagusia blochii which is a junior synonym.
- Manyband Sole Zebrias scalaris Gomon 1987 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A pale brown sole with 16-24 darker almost parallel bands across the body and caudal-fin base, bands of equal width or slightly narrower than pale interspaces and usually distinct, though not sharply demarcated from interspaces.
- McCulloch's Tongue Sole Cynoglossus maccullochi Norman 1926 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Cynoglossus A brown tongue sole with some freckling and diffuse blotches no the body.
- No Photo Available Munro's Sole Zebrias munroi (Whitley 1966) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A cream to pale yellow sole becoming white on the fins (including the caudal fin), with 9-12 very irregular pale brown bars with darker borders partly or completely crossing the head, body, dorsal and anal fins. The blind side is pale yellow.
- Peacock Sole Pardachirus pavoninus (Lacépède 1802) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Pardachirus Reddish-brown to pale brown with a densely spotted head, spots of various shapes and sizes on the body and fins of the eyed-side, spots with a dark border and often a blackish central spot.
- Shorthead Sole Brachirus breviceps Ogilby 1910 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Brachirus A rare and poorly known sole from southern Queensland.