States & territories
- Western Australia(12)
- Northern Territory(6)
- New South Wales(4)
- South Australia(2)
Habitat & ecology
- Dappled Sole Aseraggodes melanostictus (Peters 1877) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Aseraggodes A pale brown sole with darker scale edges, faint irregular dark–edged pale markings over head and body, and very irregular dark brown blotches, most much larger than eye, the two largest on lateral line to either side of middle of body; fins with dark dots (Randall 2005).
- Dusky Tongue Sole Paraplagusia sinerama Chaplau & Renaud 1993 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia
- Duskybanded Sole Zebrias penescalaris Gomon 1987 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A brownish sole with 16-22 slightly darker almost parallel bands across the body and caudal-fin base, bands of equal width or slightly narrower than paler interspaces and difficult to distinguish from interspaces; blind side pale. The dorsal and anal fins are dusky to dark with a narrow pale margin on both sides.
- Lemon Tongue Sole Paraplagusia bilineata (Bloch 1787) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia A tan-coloured tongue sole with a marbled pattern of dark wavy lines enclosing pale patches, two lateral lines on the eyed side, none on blind side. In Australia, the Lemon Tongue Sole has also been called Paraplagusia blochii which is a junior synonym.
- Longsnout Flounder Ammotretis rostratus Günther 1862 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Rhombosoleidae > Ammotretis A sandy-coloured to pale brown flounder speckled with variable darker spots, and a whitish pectoral fin on the blind side (underside). The Longsnout Flounder has both eyes on the right side of the head, the dorsal fin originating at the tip of the hooked snout, and two pelvic fins This is the most common flounder in Port Phillip, Victoria - mostly extremely well-camouflaged juveniles that are difficult to see.
- McCulloch's Tongue Sole Cynoglossus maccullochi Norman 1926 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Cynoglossus A brown tongue sole with some freckling and diffuse blotches no the body.
- No Photo Available Munro's Sole Zebrias munroi (Whitley 1966) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A cream to pale yellow sole becoming white on the fins (including the caudal fin), with 9-12 very irregular pale brown bars with darker borders partly or completely crossing the head, body, dorsal and anal fins. The blind side is pale yellow.
- Peacock Sole Pardachirus pavoninus (Lacépède 1802) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Pardachirus Reddish-brown to pale brown with a densely spotted head, spots of various shapes and sizes on the body and fins of the eyed-side, spots with a dark border and often a blackish central spot.
- Spotfin Tongue Sole Cynoglossus maculipinnis Rendahl 1921 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Cynoglossus A brown tongue sole with a pair of prominent round black spots on the rear third of the body.
- Spotted Sole Phyllichthys punctatus McCulloch 1916 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Phyllichthys