States & territories
- Spotted Sole Phyllichthys punctatus McCulloch 1916 Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Phyllichthys
- Lemon Tongue Sole Paraplagusia bilineata (Bloch 1787) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Paraplagusia A tan-coloured tongue sole with a marbled pattern of dark wavy lines enclosing pale patches, two lateral lines on the eyed side, none on blind side. In Australia, the Lemon Tongue Sole has also been called Paraplagusia blochii which is a junior synonym.
- Spotted Tongue Sole Cynoglossus puncticeps (Richardson 1846) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Cynoglossidae > Cynoglossus A yellowish-brown tongue sole with mottled dark brown blotches, often forming irregular cross bands, dark brown dashes along the dorsal and anal fins, and no pelvic fin on the blind side.
- No Photo Available Munro's Sole Zebrias munroi (Whitley 1966) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias A cream to pale yellow sole becoming white on the fins (including the caudal fin), with 9-12 very irregular pale brown bars with darker borders partly or completely crossing the head, body, dorsal and anal fins. The blind side is pale yellow.
- Wicker-work Sole Zebrias craticula (McCulloch 1916) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Zebrias Head and body with more than 20 numerous narrow dark brown bands with black margins, and often an indistinct band running through the pale interspaces.
- Black Sole Brachirus niger (Macleay 1880) Actinopterygii > Pleuronectiformes > Soleidae > Brachirus A uniformly blackish or pale brownish sole with large patches of dark brown cirri, blackish pectoral fins, and a narrow whitish margin on the dorsal, anal and caudal fins. The blind side cream to whitish. This species has frequently been referred to as Brachirus nigra .
Page 1 of 1